Re: Two Way Project for Baker Street and Gloucester Place - You have until 31st July to respond!
We now have further information regarding the proposed plans for the road layout for York Street. This is concerning for anyone who lives west of Gloucester Place.
What is being proposed:
1. York Street will be one way from Gloucester Place to Upper Montagu Street - driving West only - it will then revert to being two-way.
2. York Street & Gloucester Place junction will have a pedestrian crossing (with lights).
3. There will be no left turn into the Marylebone Road from Gloucester Place.
4. There will be a unified pedestrian crossing on the Marylebone Road and Gloucester Place junction.
What this will mean:
1. Traffic wishing to access the Marylebone Road to get on to the Westway etc., will be funnelled into York Street - it will then use Upper Montagu Street or Knox Street to access the Marylebone Road.
2. Traffic west of Gloucester Place wishing to access North London will be channelled through Enford Street or Seymour Place as this is the only way it can cross the Marylebone Road. The only alternative would be to loop South to gain access to Gloucester Place.
We believe that this will mean the following:
1. Increased pollution as we don't anticipate a decline of traffic on the Marylebone Road, but we will experience more traffic on York Street and all the streets running off it.
2. There is no restriction to the type of vehicles i.e. lorries/vans/coaches etc.
3. Increased noise - both night and day in small residential streets.
4. Increase in accidents - Upper Montagu Street and York Street has long had problems - hence the introduction of traffic calming schemes.
5. Create loading problems for the large office blocks and small businesses who already have problems fitting their deliveries in and around our small streets.
6. Put severe pressure on parking. This is being reviewed separately, but it will inevitably cause problems.
The council planners state that they do not believe that this scheme will increase the traffic levels in our streets!
What should you do:
1. Fill in the questionnaire: http://www.surveygizmo.co.uk/s3/2145353/Baker-Street-Two-Way-Consultation-Questionnaire AND CRUCIALLY - make sure you list Comments on Changes to Vehicle Movements.
This document goes through to the City Planners and it is they who collate all views and consider whether something can be changed or not. If possible, also offer constructive alternative e.g. reinstate left hand turn into Marylebone Road from northbound Gloucester Place. Move co-ordinated pedestrian crossing to Upper Montagu Street/Marylebone Road/Balcombe Street junction or do a pedestrian half-way along the between two junctions.
2. Send your views/concerns through to our local councillors: in particular Audrey Lewis who is the lead on this for our ward. They need to know how strong or not our opinions are and why we object to certain issues. They also want to ensure that they draw all the different groups together, from blocks to businesses to local societies. Their emails are as follows: